Whether you need organization ideas for your master bathroom or want inspiration for a DIY kitchen cabinet makeover, our Projects & Ideas section will help you turn your house into a home one project at a time.
Remodel to Resell: Top Five Interior Improvements to Raise Your Home’s Resale Value
Decorative Cabinet Hardware
Thinking about making home upgrades? Think style AND smarts! The right home remodeling projects will not only give you a home you love, they’ll also pay off in the long run by increasing your home’s resale value. To figure out which projects would give you the greatest return on your investment, we analyzed Remodeling Magazine’s 2018 Cost vs Value Report. Here are 5 fantastic interior home renovations you can make to create a home you’ll love now and will appreciate if ever you choose to sell!
Minor Kitchen Remodel
Small, cosmetic updates to your kitchen don’t just brighten up your mornings – they can go a long way in boosting your home’s resale value. The benefit of minor kitchen updates is that you can complete them with very little labor costs and still get a great looking kitchen. These minor updates can include installing new cabinet hardware, updating cabinet fronts and drawers, and adding a new coat of paint.
"Remodeling an outdated kitchen will yield the best return when reselling one's home. Using good-quality finishes in neutral tones is always recommended. There's also no need to overspend on appliances and finishes that will not be appreciated by the new buyer. Forego the $10,000 French range or $20,000 Italian refrigerator when buying appliances. Most important? Make your new kitchen as non-specific in color and style as possible so that it appeals to the widest possible audience of buyers. Kitchens are the most expensive room in the house when renovating but also the most important."
– Adam Taylor, Managing Director of Sales, BOND New York
- Pick the right kitchen colors. White kitchen cabinets are timeless and will make your kitchen feel more spacious, while black kitchen cabinets will create an upscale look but make your kitchen feel smaller. You can give your cabinets a fresh coat of paint this weekend!
- Kitchen backsplash tile is an extremely popular element in modern kitchens. For kitchen backsplash ideas, check out Sebring Design Build’s 2018 Backsplash Trend outlook.
- Add champagne bronze knobs and pulls to your cabinets and drawers to give your kitchen some upscale polish.
Universal Bathroom Design
Universal design means your bathroom is accessible and safe for everyone regardless of age or physical ability. Slick surfaces, tight spaces and hard materials make the bathroom one of the most dangerous rooms in the home. Fortunately, all it takes is a few adjustments to minimize risk and give your bathroom a universal design that will make it safer for your entire family and increase your home’s value.
“A house’s value increases with its accessibility, especially when it comes to a high-traffic area like the family bathroom. If you have the budget, widen your doors, get a toilet that is a little taller, and create a walk-in shower. If not, small details like grab bars and additional lighting help.”
– Emily McCrary-Ruiz-Esparza, Brand Editor at House Method
- Install grab bars in the shower, bathtub and near the toilet for support and stability.
- Place towel hooks next to the shower to make towel access easier.
- Install large, D-shaped drawer and cabinet pulls to make it easier for people of all abilities to access storage space.
- Add more lighting to your bathroom’s entryway.
Minor Bathroom Remodel
Whereas the universal bathroom design is about functionality, a minor bathroom remodel is about style and appeal. If you have a higher budget, hiring a plumber to help you update your fixtures––the tub, shower, faucets, and sinks––is a good idea. For a little less money, especially if you do it yourself, adding ceramic floor tiles is a project that can add instant character (and value!) to a bathroom.
“Let’s face it. You’re using your bathroom everyday, probably more then once a day and there is nothing more off putting then walking into an old and smelly bathroom. This is the room after all, that we use to make sure we ourselves are clean. Small fixes you can do include reglazing or repainting your bathroom tub depending on the material it’s made out of and regrouting shower or floor tiles that have turned black or dark over time. Also consider painting it white! White is the least offensive color and gives your bathroom a clean streamlined look that is very attractive to buyers.”
– Melissa Leifer, Keller Williams Tribeca
- If you have outdated wall paper, get rid of it and add a new coat of paint. For bathroom color inspiration, check out Behr’s color gallery.
- Add bathroom accessories with matching finishes to give your bathroom a coordinated look.
- Install open shelving to your bathroom to add storage space and keep clutter off the counter.
- Consider looking into different backsplash ideas. Backsplash will make a big difference in your bathroom just like it will in your kitchen.
Major Kitchen Remodel
According to the National Association of Home Builders’ 2017 Home Buyer Preferences report, 82% of homebuyers are looking for eat-in kitchens to entertain guests and enjoy family meals. Knocking down walls, moving around appliances, and adding a kitchen island may seem like big investments, but these kitchen remodel ideas will pay off in the end. You’ll have a warmer, more family-friendly space for you, and a better offer for future buyers.
“Major kitchen remodels can be difficult but well worth the investment because kitchens sell homes. Hire a professional to help you create the plans and determine where to save and splurge. I love to add comfortable built-in bench seating with custom cushions and throw pillows that invite people to relax and linger.”
– Lisa Stewart, Interior Designer and owner of LISA STEWART DESIGN
- Your kitchen will feel bigger if there are less obstacles, so consider removing over-counter cabinets and adding exposed shelving.
- If you have the budget, add granite or marble countertops.
- An island that includes under-counter seating will maximize space and add value to your kitchen.
Living Room Updates
When you walk into your home, the living room is one of the first places you see. It sets the tone for your whole house. The same is true for potential homebuyers. The living room is the first place they’ll begin to imagine their life there. That’s why a living room update is a good place to consider investing. And it doesn’t take much. A few minor updates can bring a lot of value to your home!
“When prepping your home for sale, it is important to realize that many potential buys will have different needs in a living space than you. It's important to create a space that allows potential buyers to visualize putting their own stamp on the space. Ripping up any carpet and laying down floors is extremely helpful- buyers today just aren't looking for that and although a relatively simple process, it can seem daunting to first-time homeowners. If you are looking for something minimal with maximum effect, paint your home white! Everyone's color palette is different, so that red/navy/off-white you love, may shrink a room or create a situation where an offensive color turns a buyer off.”
– Jessica Milton, Mirador Real Estate
- Crown molding is a relatively easy way to give a room a clean, upgraded finish that potential home buyers love.
- Trade out the outlet plates for decorative wall plates. You will be surprised how a small detail can make a huge difference in your living room makeover.
- New windows and updated flooring are worth the investment as they are always popular features among potential home buyers.
- Consider giving your living room a fresh coat of paint. Neutral colors will create a versatile space, allowing you to play with color combinations in the future.
* Statistic pulled from HGTV: Top 15 Home Updates That Pay Off
Shop Liberty Hardware
At Liberty Hardware, we believe you shouldn’t have to break the bank to make your house beautiful or valuable, so we provide the little things that make a big difference. Shop our online store today to find the products you need to create a look you enjoy now and value you’ll enjoy later.