Whether you need organization ideas for your master bathroom or want inspiration for a DIY kitchen cabinet makeover, our Projects & Ideas section will help you turn your house into a home one project at a time.
How to Install Cabinet Handles | Liberty Hardware
Decorative Cabinet Hardware
Congrats on your new cabinet hardware! Installing on your own is simple, especially with our step-by-step guide below. When you install yourself, the most important thing to remember is cabinet knob placement. Getting it right the first time prevents multiple drill holes, and ups the potential resale value of your cabinets. Cabinet knob placement should be centered on drawers, and accessible on cabinets.
Review the cabinet knob placement illustrations for the perfect example.
Choosing the brushed nickel cabinet handles over the brass cabinet knobs was the hard part. Installation? Now, that’s easy. Once you have the tools you need and the cabinet handles and knobs to match your home's design, you can take the next step in your DIY home decorating project. Check out these easy-to-follow instructions for installing cabinet door handles and knobs.
Cabinet hardware installation instructions
Before you begin:
- Read the cabinet handles and knobs installation instructions completely before starting
- Find a safe work space to avoid scratching your cabinets and countertops while working with tools
Tools you need:
- Electric drill
- 3/16" drill bit
- #2 Phillips screwdriver
- Ruler or tape measure
- Masking tape (optional)
- Installation template (optional)
- Determine where you're going to install your cabinet handles or knobs. Common locations for kitchen cabinet hardware include the bottom left for upper cabinets, or the upper left for lower cabinets.
- Measure between the holes on the back of the cabinet door handles to find the correct center to center spacing for the holes. 3" is the most popular spacing, but your options will depend on the size of your cabinet doors.
- With your ruler or tape measure, carefully measure and mark the hole locations. (You can also use the reusable Liberty brand AlignRight cabinet hardware installation template to help with spacing.) WARNING: If you use a power drill, always read and follow the operating and safety instructions in the power drill owner's manual and the instructions for use. Always wear safety goggles to protect your eyes and wear other appropriate safety items for protection.
- Place masking tape in your approximate hole locations on the front of the cabinet. Doing so can help prevent any potential damage to the cabinet front when drilling.
- Carefully drill through the cabinet door fronts. Go steadily and slowly, and use minimal pressure to reduce damaging or splintering the backside of your cabinet.
- Use a screwdriver and fasteners to install your new cabinet handles or knobs. (Note: Be careful not to over-tighten the screws. Cabinet handles, knobs, and drawer pulls should only be hand tightened.)
Find cabinet handles and knobs from Liberty Hardware
With our extensive selection of cabinet handles, knobs and pulls, you'll discover which style, finish, and shape best matches your look. Our wide variety of cabinet hardware includes superb pieces such as the flat black front mount hammercraft 3-1/2" cabinet pull and the 3" or 3-3/4" satin nickel dual mount cabinet pull.
Click on an image below to learn more about each cabinet handle, where you can purchase the hardware, and how you can get started installing them in your own home.
Browse our extensive selection of cabinet door handles and knobs today!